The pages have brief notes on each location and where more information is available, there are links to longer pages on some of the places where appropriate (highlighted in ble font). These main descriptions are also all listed under the "Places to Visit" tab at the top of each Web page on this site.
NOTE: a growing number of the entries have a "Post Code" beside them - these are used by Sat-Nav software to supply routes to these locations.
(EH22 2NA CITY of EDINBURGH
Scott Monument - Imposing memorial to Sir Walter Scott in Princes Street gardens, below Edinburgh Castle
Writer's Museum (EH1 2PA) - Museum dedicated to Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns & Robert Louis Stephenson in Lady Stair's House
Statue of 5th Duke of Buccleuch, (EH1) Parliament Square. A magnificent memorial to the 5th Duke of Buccleuch, 7th Duke of Queensberry (1806-1884). In addition to the statue of the duke at the top (see illustration on the right) there are a series of bronze reliefs of scenes from the Duke's life with allegorical figures at the corners and bronze reliefs of episodes in the Scott family history, with rampant stags holding shields at the corners.
Edinburgh Castle - Rediscovery of Scottish Crown Jewels by Sir Walter Scott
Birthplace of Sir Walter Scott, College Wynd, and other homes in Edinburgh (EH8 9LD and EH2 3BG
Royal High School - where young Walter Scott went to school.
NORTH OF EDINBURGH
Granton Harbour - (EH5) The 5th Duke of Buccleuch, who owned land in the area, saw the opportunity to build a new harbour on part of the estate he owned, which also included Caroline Park House. The Duke was advised about the design of the harbour by Robert Stevenson, better known as a lighthouse engineer (and grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson the author). A bronze relief of Buccleduch reviewing the plans for the harbour is included in the statue in Parliament Square (see above).
Caroline Park House, Granton - (EH5 1QJ) a tower house which passed by marriage to the Scott Dukes of Buccleuch in the 1740s.
EAST OF EDINBURGH
Humbie Old Place, Pathhead - site of castle, passed by marriage to the Scotts of Polwarth in1885
Inveresk Lodge, Musselburgh - (EH21 7TE) 17h century mansion incorporating a 16th century building, sold to Scotts of Buccleuchin 1709.
Battle of Pinkie - The Battle of Pinkie Cleugh, took place on 10 September 1547 on the banks of the River Esk near Musselburgh, Scotland.It was part of the conflict known as the Rough Wooing. It was a catastrophic defeat for Scotland, where it became known as Black Saturday.
SOUTH OF EDINBURGH
Malleny House, Balerno - (EH14 7AF) 17th century mansion with earlier buildings from 1589 which passed in the 17th centuryto the Scotts of Murdieston. Now owned by National Trust for Scotland
Curriehill Castle, Balerno - site of castle, owned for a time by General Thomas Scott of Malleny.
Lugton Castle (North-west of Dalkeith) - site of a castle of the Douglases which passed to the Scott Dukes of Buccleuch in 1693
Dalkeith Palace, Dalkeith - (EH22 2NA) 18th century mansion, incorporating an older castle from 12th century. Originally owned by the Grahams and Douglases. Bought by the Scott earls (later Dukes) of Buccleuch.The eldest son of the current Duke of Buccleuch takes the title of Earl of Dalkeith.
St Mary's Episcopal Church (EH22 2NA) most of the early Dukes of Bucclleuch are buried in the Memorial Chapel.
Sheriffhall Castle, south of Dalkeith - only a stair turret remains of this Scotts of Buccleuch castle.
Edinburgh skyline from Scott Monument